RADIUS Problems

Christopher Carver ccarver at pennswoods.net
Mon Jun 5 16:06:58 CEST 2006

Patrick Daley wrote:

> I am having a pretty big problem that you all should be able to fix
> fairly quickly, but I can’t seem to figure out how. I am using 2 Cisco
> Aironet 1130AG’s with a freeRADIUS server I have all the users in it
> and setup, but I seem to get this error every 30seconds on the Access
> Points.
>
> Jun 5 08:32:49.650 S
>

> Warning
>

> RADIUS server ***.***.***.***:1812,1813 has returned.
>
> Jun 5 08:32:49.650 S
>

> Warning
>

> RADIUS server ***.***.***.***:1812,1813 is not responding.
>
> I have removed the IP addresses for obvious reasons, but could anyone
> tell me what this means and how to fix it?

That is what the AP's are saying, but what is freeradius saying? Are
there any corresponding entries in radius.log? What happens when you run
radiusd -X and look at the output whenever you see this error on your
AP? Also, I'm not trying to be critical of your word usage but its a
warning and not an error. This might be important. It might not actually
be causing any real problems. Take a look at the things I mentioned, and
the nature of the warning will probably become clearer to you.

Chris Carver
Network Engineer