LDAP-Authentication based on CHAP

Rainer Brinkmann brinkman at uke.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Jun 6 11:31:38 CEST 2006

Hello,
despite the FAQ- Entry "How do I make CHAP work with LDAP?":

can anybody tell us if its basically possible to run  a chap-Auth against an
LDAP?
I know, that a specific LDAP-Service must be able to retrieve a user-Pwd and
often it cant, cause of the storage of the pwd as "one-directioned
(hashed)". So, only a "simple bind" is ok.
But if LDAP can run a chap-based password-check by retrieving a password: is
the LDAP-Protocol (v3)  basically capable of doing this?

Hamburg/Germany,
Rainer Brinkmann