Prepaid billing using freeradius and rlm_counter/rlm_sqlcounter

liran tal liransgarage at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 01:21:47 CEST 2006

Hey guys,

I'd like to try and implement a solution for pre-paid accounts.
The idea is that I'd be providing pairs of username/passwords to customers
and these accounts will be set to N hours,
after those N hours are used by the customer (the user has ran out of his
N-hour time) the account will be disabled, i.e: freeradius
would return an access-reject.

I'm currently using FreeRADIUS 1.1.0 with mysql as the back-end on debian
and I've read the manpage about rlm_counter and
rlm_sqlcounter though the manpage is a bit low of information and examples.

Could someone please provide me with an example of how to get freeradius
configured to this solution?

Thanks,
Sincerly, Liran Tal.