\000 in "octets" attribute?

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Thu Jun 15 11:09:22 CEST 2006

> Essentially, the vendor-specific attribute value is a 1-byte unsigned
> integer, not a string. Haven't done a live test yet, so I do not know
> how it handles the empty value. Perhaps all goes well. I'll let you
> know.

Then you are supposed to use the "integer" type, not "octets" (then, you don't
even have to jump through hoops to achieve a "0": just use the integer 0, no
need for \000).

> My rfc-reading seems to contradict you a little bit, though?

No. I read this section quite a few times. octets is another word for string,
i.e. treat what is in there as undistinguished octets (as opposed to: treat
it as an integer). And that's why the section of RFC 2869 is perfectly right:
you wanted to send a string that has a \000 (= hex 00, = NUL) as last
character. And that's forbidden:

> RFC2869 section 5:
>       Note that none of the types in RADIUS terminate with a NUL (hex
>       00).  In particular, types "text" and "string" in RADIUS do not
>       terminate with a NUL (hex 00).  The Attribute has a length field
>       and does not use a terminator.  Text contains UTF-8 encoded 10646
>       [8] characters and String contains 8-bit binary data.  Servers and
>       servers and clients MUST be able to deal with embedded nulls.
>       RADIUS implementers using C are cautioned not to use strcpy() when
>       handling strings.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche
Ingenieur Forschung & Entwicklung

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg