Mysql with crypted password

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Tue Jun 27 12:55:46 CEST 2006

Hi!

> I have successfully installed secure2 with 3Com WX1200 switch and AP 3Com
> 2750, with authentication PEAP-EAP/MSCHAPv2. Authentication radius ask to
> mysql tables the credentials stored in plain text.
> Now, my problem is: I don't like plain text password in my MySQL Table.
> So I ask you. Which is the possible scenario to have crypted password
> stored in MySQL.

Since SecureW2 can use TTLS, you have a variety of options for encrypting
passwords in your MySQL table. You may want to use unix crypt, MD5 hash
passwords etc. The only difference is that the statement in SQL is not

User-Password := whatever
but
Crypt-Password := someweirdstring (according to the crypto scheme you chose)

Keep in mind though that when using one-way crypted passwords it is not
possible any more to switch back to PEAP - since PEAP transports CHAP
encrypted challenges, the SQL backend needs to have clear text passwords.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche
Ingenieur Forschung & Entwicklung

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg