ZyAir B-3000 and freeradius

Luciano PELLE ciano at informagic.it
Sun Mar 5 19:26:44 CET 2006

Hi all!
I'm new to this list and probably this is not the place where to post
this kind of questions.
I've searched all over the net and read a lot about various
configurations for freeradius, but nothing so simple to solve my
problem.
Hence here is the problem:
I'm using Debian Sarge (kernel 2.6.8-2-686) and I'm trying to use
freeradius 1.0.2 with quite all extensions available for my distro
(dialupadmin, ldap, mysql, perl etc ...).
Freeradius is installed correctly (no error messages, during the setup
process) and when I launch it with

#freeradius -X

I get this output:

Starting - reading configuration files ...
reread_config:  reading radiusd.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/freeradius/proxy.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/freeradius/clients.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/freeradius/snmp.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/freeradius/eap.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/freeradius/sql.conf
 main: prefix = "/usr"
 main: localstatedir = "/var"
 main: logdir = "/var/log/freeradius"
 main: libdir = "/usr/lib/freeradius"
 main: radacctdir = "/var/log/freeradius/radacct"
 main: hostname_lookups = no
 main: max_request_time = 30
 main: cleanup_delay = 5
 main: max_requests = 1024
 main: delete_blocked_requests = 0
 main: port = 0
 main: allow_core_dumps = no
 main: log_stripped_names = no
 main: log_file = "/var/log/freeradius/radius.log"
 main: log_auth = yes
 main: log_auth_badpass = no
 main: log_auth_goodpass = no
 main: pidfile = "/var/run/freeradius/freeradius.pid"
 main: user = "freerad"
 main: group = "freerad"
 main: usercollide = no
 main: lower_user = "no"
 main: lower_pass = "no"
 main: nospace_user = "no"
 main: nospace_pass = "no"
 main: checkrad = "/usr/sbin/checkrad"
 main: proxy_requests = yes
 proxy: retry_delay = 5
 proxy: retry_count = 3
 proxy: synchronous = no
 proxy: default_fallback = yes
 proxy: dead_time = 120
 proxy: post_proxy_authorize = yes
 proxy: wake_all_if_all_dead = no
 security: max_attributes = 200
 security: reject_delay = 1
 security: status_server = no
 main: debug_level = 0
read_config_files:  reading dictionary
read_config_files:  reading naslist
Using deprecated naslist file.  Support for this will go away soon.
read_config_files:  reading clients
read_config_files:  reading realms
radiusd:  entering modules setup
Module: Library search path is /usr/lib/freeradius
Module: Loaded exec
 exec: wait = yes
 exec: program = "(null)"
 exec: input_pairs = "request"
 exec: output_pairs = "(null)"
 exec: packet_type = "(null)"
rlm_exec: Wait=yes but no output defined. Did you mean output=none?
Module: Instantiated exec (exec)
Module: Loaded expr
Module: Instantiated expr (expr)
Module: Loaded PAP
 pap: encryption_scheme = "crypt"
Module: Instantiated pap (pap)
Module: Loaded CHAP
Module: Instantiated chap (chap)
Module: Loaded MS-CHAP
 mschap: use_mppe = yes
 mschap: require_encryption = no
 mschap: require_strong = no
 mschap: with_ntdomain_hack = no
 mschap: passwd = "(null)"
 mschap: authtype = "MS-CHAP"
 mschap: ntlm_auth = "(null)"
Module: Instantiated mschap (mschap)
Module: Loaded System
 unix: cache = no
 unix: passwd = "(null)"
 unix: shadow = "/etc/shadow"
 unix: group = "(null)"
 unix: radwtmp = "/var/log/freeradius/radwtmp"
 unix: usegroup = no
 unix: cache_reload = 600
Module: Instantiated unix (unix)
Module: Loaded eap
 eap: default_eap_type = "md5"
 eap: timer_expire = 60
 eap: ignore_unknown_eap_types = no
 eap: cisco_accounting_username_bug = no
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type md5
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type leap
 gtc: challenge = "Password: "
 gtc: auth_type = "PAP"
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type gtc
 mschapv2: with_ntdomain_hack = no
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type mschapv2
Module: Instantiated eap (eap)
Module: Loaded preprocess
 preprocess: huntgroups = "/etc/freeradius/huntgroups"
 preprocess: hints = "/etc/freeradius/hints"
 preprocess: with_ascend_hack = no
 preprocess: ascend_channels_per_line = 23
 preprocess: with_ntdomain_hack = no
 preprocess: with_specialix_jetstream_hack = no
 preprocess: with_cisco_vsa_hack = no
Module: Instantiated preprocess (preprocess)
Module: Loaded realm
 realm: format = "suffix"
 realm: delimiter = "@"
 realm: ignore_default = no
 realm: ignore_null = no
Module: Instantiated realm (suffix)
Module: Loaded files
 files: usersfile = "/etc/freeradius/users"
 files: acctusersfile = "/etc/freeradius/acct_users"
 files: preproxy_usersfile = "/etc/freeradius/preproxy_users"
 files: compat = "no"
Module: Instantiated files (files)
Module: Loaded Acct-Unique-Session-Id
 acct_unique: key = "User-Name, Acct-Session-Id, NAS-IP-Address,
Client-IP-Addre ss, NAS-Port"
Module: Instantiated acct_unique (acct_unique)
Module: Loaded detail
 detail: detailfile =
"/var/log/freeradius/radacct/%{Client-IP-Address}/detail-% Y%m%d"
 detail: detailperm = 384
 detail: dirperm = 493
 detail: locking = no
Module: Instantiated detail (detail)
Module: Loaded radutmp
 radutmp: filename = "/var/log/freeradius/radutmp"
 radutmp: username = "%{User-Name}"
 radutmp: case_sensitive = yes
 radutmp: check_with_nas = yes
 radutmp: perm = 384
 radutmp: callerid = yes
Module: Instantiated radutmp (radutmp)
Listening on authentication *:1812
Listening on accounting *:1813
Listening on proxy *:1814
Ready to process requests.

... I suppose that this means that the server works fine.

Now I'd like (and this is the real question) to use the server with a
Zyxel ZyAir B-3000 that has a built in RADIUS function to authenticate
users and authorize to access my LAN (mostly for using an Internet
connection).
What is the simplest way to configure the server and the client (ZyAir)
to make them works together? How can I test the settings, before to make
them operative? If I can't get help here is there anybody that knows a
step-by-step tutorial I can download on the Internet (in italian?)?

Thanks in advance for your help and support

Luciano PELLE