IP address assignment (rlm_ippool)

Carlo Prestopino c.prestopino at waitalia.com
Thu Mar 9 16:35:52 CET 2006

I want freeRADIUS to assign IP address to authenticated users, so Ive done
thefollowing configuration

            ippool main_pool {

                #  range-start,range-stop: The start and end ip

                #  addresses for the ip pool

                range-start = 81.174.17.35

                range-stop = 81.174.17.63

                # session-db: The main db file used to allocate ip's to
clients

                session-db = ${raddbdir}/db.ippool

                # ip-index: Helper db index file used in multilink

                ip-index = ${raddbdir}/db.ipindex

Once started, I get back an error from radiusd :

rlm_ippool: Failed to open file /etc/raddb/db.ippool: Permission denied

radiusd.conf[1468]: main_pool: Module instantiation failed.

It seems that the problem is due lack of db.ippool file. I've tried to
create it manually, but nothing changed.

Is there a way to generate db.ippool file so rlm_ippool can work properly?

Thank you in advance,

Best Regards,

Carlo