WiFi & Mac address authentication

brainstorm braincode at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 20:41:08 CET 2006

> Please read the docs. This comments right above the "passwd" module in
> the default config are VERY SPECIFIC. The format is:
>
> format = "*Key-Value:~Request-Value:=Reply-Value:Configure-Value"
>
> That is, the radius attribute "Key-Value" is the first field.
> Request-Value (prefix ~) will be added to the request, Reply-Value
> (prefix =) to the reply, and Configure-Value (no prefix) to the
> configure items.

Sure, I have missed that valuable info (I was too focused on man page
and /usr/share/doc).

> So you're wrong several ways:
>
>   3. In any case, for WAPs, Calling-Station-Id is normally the MAC, not IP

That's exactly the field I wish to use (Calling-Station-Id), the IP is
just for other internal purposes, so you can ignore it.

> Try something like this:
>
> passwd mac-ip {
>                  filename = /etc/raddb/MAC-IP
>                  format = "*Calling-Station-Id:Class"
>                  delimiter = ":"
>                  authtype = Reject
>          }
> always fail {
>    rcode = fail
> }
>
> authorize {
>    mac-ip {
>      notfound = reject
>    }
>    # others
> }

That was useful, thank you ! I guess that in my case it's safe to drop
the Class attribute, leaving format just as: "*Calling-Station-Id:".

> ...and note that many/most APs send the MAC as "00-11-22-33-44-55" so
> the file should look like this:
>
> 00-11-22-33-44-55:KnownUser

FYI, the Cisco Aironet 1200 can send the Calling-Station-Id on these
configurable formats:

xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

So it's ok right now.

> This is all in the docs.

Perhaps this example could be used in the manpage as an EXAMPLE
section, isn't it ?