LDAP authorization for EAP-TLS authentication

Keith Moores kmm6b at virginia.edu
Thu Mar 16 17:43:25 CET 2006

I'm trying to understand the relationship between the modules in the
authorize {} and authenticate {} sections and how it relates to the
directives defined in users.  EAP-TLS works fine, but I can't seem to
figure how to get make the ldap authorization reject a user.

DEFAULT Auth-Type := eap, Autz-Type := ldap

authorize{
	preprocess
	ldap
         eap
}

authenticate {
	eap
}

ldap {
	server = "our-server.itc.virginia.edu"
	identity = "uid=uva-all,ou=ITC-User,ou=It,o=University of
Virginia,c=US"
	password = "our-password"
	basedn = "o=University of Virginia,c=US"
	filter = "(wirelessAccess=%{Stripped-User-Name:-%{User-Name}})"
	base_filter = "(objectclass=Person)"
	start_tls = no
	access_attr = "wirelessAccess"
	ldap_connections_number = 5
	timeout = 4
	timelimit = 3
	net_timeout = 1
	access_attr_used_for_allow = yes
}

In the ldap server logs show multiple queries, which are not
returning anything.
This can be confirmed with:
ldapsearch -b "o=University of Virginia,c=US" wirelessAccess=kmm6b
wirelessAccess
which returns nothing.  If nothing is returned shouldn't the
authorization fail?  I'm missing something, hopefully not too obvious...

Keith Moores                                 <mailto:kmm6b at virginia.edu>
Network Systems
ITC-Communications and Systems Division
University of Virginia, ITC-2015 Ivy Rd            Phone  (434) 924-0621
Box 400324, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4324         Fax    (434) 982-4715