Module not loading

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Fri Mar 17 17:30:33 CET 2006

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Tom=E1s_A=2E_Rossi=22?= <tomas at mecon.gov.ar> wrote:
> I mean a message saying something like:
> *WARNING: module _blabla_ instantiated but not used, radiusd will ignore it*

  Perhaps you didn't read my response.  The module is *not*
instantiated, because it's not used.

> No offense, but I still think FreeRADIUS *lacks* of an homogeneous
> and well organized documentation. I mean, don't take me as an
> ungrateful guy.

  Then write some and submit it.  Other people have done that.
Without complaining, too.

> If there could be some kind of index of contents for the docs
> (at least) one wouldn't have to search trying to guess upon the
> filenames which of those textfiles has the information I need. Maybe
> some PDF or html documentation some day would make the product more
> attractive.

  Feel free to do the work and submit it back to the project.

  If you're not going to do that, your comments sound suspiciously
like you're asking other people to do work, for free, that you're
unwilling to do.

> >   Yes, we've been through this dicussion before with other people.
> > You're not the first to run into this.  And the end result of what you
> > want is an endless series of messages explaining why the server isn't
> > doing what you think it's doing.
> >
> I can't see why.

  Hmm... That's pretty much my point.

> Note that my suggestion only would have added a simple WARNING message
> saving you to discuss with that other people and about future concerns
> as well.

  In nearly 7 years of working with FreeRADIUS, we've only had 3-4
comments about this particular behavior.  So it's simply not worth the
effort to fix it, because so few people see it as a problem.

> Maybe my complain (I'll call it suggestion) is not that relevant to
> worth server modifications, it's only that I thought it was better for
> you to know in which whirlpool FreeRADIUS users get stuck in sometimes.

   I understand.  My point is that much of the whirlpool people get
stuck in is because of misunderstandings how the server works, or
unreasonable expectations.  I answer messages on the list (in part) to
address those issues.

  But there is a minority of people who simply refuse to believe my
explanations, and insist on being stuck in the whirlpool.  For those,
there isn't anything I can do.