rlm_eap: identity does not match User-Name, setting from EAP identity

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Mar 18 13:42:37 CET 2006

Agent Smith wrote:
> This was taken from radiusd -X, and then I logged in
> with a username,password and domain name too.
>
> Ideally I'd like to make it so that it works either
> way but for now I'll settle with ability to login when
> the domainname was supplied.
>
> Thanks,
>

> rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host
> 192.168.3.44:1645, id=139, length=139
>         User-Name = "UPG\\test"
>         Framed-MTU = 1400
>         Called-Station-Id = "0013.8032.40d1"
>         Calling-Station-Id = "0090.4b1d.86cc"
>         Service-Type = Login-User
>         Message-Authenticator =
> 0x719f121abfb3b27a8746acabe0e1b6c6
>         EAP-Message = 0x0202000f123d4544566a726176616c

Unless I'm mistaken, the username in the EAP-Message it not just
different but completely different. But anyway...

>         NAS-Port-Type = Wireless-802.11
>         NAS-Port = 1527
>         NAS-IP-Address = 192.168.3.44
>         NAS-Identifier = "Cisco_AP"
>   Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
> modcall: entering group authorize for request 32
>   modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok
> for request 32
>   rlm_eap: EAP packet type response id 2 length 15
>   rlm_eap: No EAP Start, assuming it's an on-going EAP
> conversation
>   modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns updated for
> request 32
>     rlm_realm: No '/' in User-Name = "test", looking
> up realm NULL

Ok, FR thinks the username is "test" not UPG\test here. Therefore you've
got ntdomain_hack enabled in preprocess. Turn it off.

You've already stated that ntlm_auth then fails - that's because your
ntlm_auth command line is incorrect. You can fix it a number of ways:

  1. set "with_ntdomain_hack = yes" on the mschap module (NOT in preprocess)
  2. set the "ntlm_auth" command to (all on one line):

/path/to/ntlm_auth --request-nt-key --username=%{mschap:User-Name}
--challenge=%{mschap:Challenge:-00} --nt-response=%{mschap:NT-Response:-00}

...note the use of the mschap:User-Name which will always strip the
domain\ before doing the chal/resp (and in CVS head turn host/foo into
foo$ as well)

>     rlm_realm: Found realm "NULL"
>     rlm_realm: Adding Stripped-User-Name = "test"
>     rlm_realm: Proxying request from user test to
> realm NULL
>     rlm_realm: Adding Realm = "NULL"
>     rlm_realm: Authentication realm is LOCAL.

Also, you typically do not want "/" realms, and I seriously doubt you
want them configured like this (matching NULL).