sql.conf

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Mar 21 16:46:55 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-20-03 at 16:56 -0600, Atkins, Dwane P wrote:
> Why is it that when I run a radiusd –X, I always come back with errors
> on saying that it cannot connect to the mysql server:

...snip...
> rlm_sql_mysql: Couldn't connect socket to MySQL server
> radius at localhost:radius
>
> rlm_sql_mysql: Mysql error 'Access denied for user
> 'radius'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'

...snip...

> I have put this in my sql.conf like so:
>

> # Connect info
>
>         server = "localhost"
>
>         login = "radius"
>
>         password = "xxxxxxxxx"
>

>         # Database table configuration
>
>         radius_db = "radius"
>

> What am I doing wrong?  I have followed a number of whitepapers to
> install this and most of them say the same thing.
>

> I downloaded freeradius and mysql-server using the ‘yum install’
> option.  Now, when I do a ./configure on freeradius, do I need to do
> it with a –with—mysql option?
>

> Should I try this on something other than FC4?  I am opened to
> options.

First of all for stability, I would suggest FreeBSD. The
Fedora Core Releases are, cutting edge with a short life
span.

First thing you should try is using the mysql command line
to access the database with the credentials you put in the
configuration file.

bash> mysql -h localhost -u radius -p xxxxxxxxx

If it lets you in try to connect to the db :

mysql> \r radius

If you can not get connected this way the problem is in your
MySQL configuration.