Accounting-Response packet with invalid signature!

Ryan Melendez rmelendez at wayport.net
Tue Mar 21 22:32:39 CET 2006

Hello,

I am getting Accounting-Response packets from one particular NAS with an
invalid signature.  I verified the shared secret is correct.  Radiusd is
configured to proxy Accounting-Request packets the following way.

proxy server {
        synchronous = no
        retry_delay = 10
        retry_count = 30
        dead_time = 300
}

This particular NAS take about 25 seconds to send the
Accounting-Response.  By the time it's sent its response freeradius has
moved on to the second or third retry.  The authenticator calculated by
the NAS is for the initial accounting packet and is invalid for the
second request due to a change in the Acct-Delay-Time (and possibly
proxy-state).  Freeradius then bails out:

Received Accounting-Response packet from with invalid signature!
Server rejecting request 1.
Finished request 1
Going to the next request
rl_next:  returning NULL
Cleaning up request 1 ID 11 with timestamp 44206de3

If I change the config to:

        retry_delay = 30
        retry_count = 1

then freeradius sleeps for 30 seconds and does not send a second packet.

Waking up in 31 seconds...
rad_recv: Accounting-Response packet from host :1813, id=1, length=25
        Proxy-State = 0x323233
Sending Accounting-Response of id 223 to :51818
Finished request 0

What is the correct way to do this according to the RFC?  25 seconds is
an extremely long delay but it seems there should be a way to handle
this.  I tried playing with cleanup_delay, but I'm not getting anywhere.
Do I have to set the retry_delay very high to have a better chance?  25
seconds is a long time to wait if the host is actually down.

Thanks,
Ryan