Freeradius ip allocation.

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Mar 23 10:46:11 CET 2006

Ashwin Gobind wrote:
> Is it possible to use freeradius to dynamically allocate ip adrreses
> from predefined pools.
>
> I want to assign an ip address from a specific set of pools, which pool
> to use is to be determined by the NAS Identifier & the Called-Station-Id
> of the AccessRequest.

Yes. The module, strangely enough, is called "ippool", and is well
documented by comments in the default config file.

> Also to throw another complication in, these ip's should be consistent
> over 3 radius servers that are load balanced.

That's rather harder. You need shared backend storage. There is an
sqlippool module in 1.1.0 (I think - certainly it's in CVS) though I
recall there being some discussion about it being suboptimal (that may
just be my suboptimal memory!) - check the archives.

Obviously all radius servers would need to be talking to the same SQL
server, though I guess you could use replication and failover to make
that part resilient.