VSA and other attributes in Access-Accept

Mohammed Petiwala mhpetiwala at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 31 00:06:02 CEST 2006

Hi:
  First thanks to the freeRADIUS team - this is one of the most flexibile and powerful AAA available...

  I've 2 questions:
  1. I've set up my clients to authenticate using EAP-TTLS with MSCHAPv2  as the inner authentication protocol. This works fine with the  wpa_suppicant with intel 2200b/g as well as the Cisco Aironet 350. I've  created my own dictionary file with VSAs that are useful for my NAS  once Access-Accept is returned.
  The 'users' file has the VSAs Attrib = Value listed after each user  entry and I do see  the attributes being returned correctly on  Access-Accept. My question is (please correct me if I am wrong) - I see  the VSAs being returned during the intermediate Access-Challenge  messages too even before authentication is complete. Is this the normal  behavior, is there a way to setup the freeRADIUS server so that the  VSAs are only returned on Access-Accept and not during the  Access-Challenge. The NAS does ignore the VSAs in any case during the  challenge - but would be good if there was a way to limit the message  size for the Access-Challenge messages (only if this is valid from  RADIUS RFC perspective - if someone could clarify).

  2. How can I set users in the 'users' file (an example would be very  helpful if someone can send) so that some users are only allowed to  authenticate using EAP-TTLS while others are only allowed to use PEAP.  Once I create an entry into the users file (and both authentications  are EAP types) - the user can authenticate using any eap type - I would  like to limit this per user. Is it possible??
  Thx.

  Regards,
  Mohammed.