Active directory and MS-CHAP Authentication.

Alan DeKok aland at nitros9.org
Tue May 9 18:26:53 CEST 2006

Antonio Matera <antonio.matera at create-net.it> wrote:
> If I insert in the users file "DEFAULT Auth-Type := MS-CHAP", in the log
> file I read this error:

  Which is why the documentation says to NOT set Auth-Type.

  You didn't post the rest of the debug log (i.e. the packet), but
it's obvious what's happening.  The server is getting a packet without
ms-chap, and you told it to do ms-chap, so it doesn't work.

  The solution is don't break the configuration of the server.

> If I remove the DAFAULT user in the users file in the log I can't find a
> mschap authentication and the user is reject.

  I doubt that very much.  The default config works.

  If you're using "radtest", then it doesn't do ms-chap
authentication, so you can't use it to test ms-chap on the server.
You have to use another client.