(no subject)

Dennis Skinner dskinner at bluefrog.com
Fri May 12 18:44:25 CEST 2006

Yasir Elhaggaz wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> i have allready freeradius installed and working well, but i can see
> resentlly its became very slow to replay the DataBase wich is MySQL,
> could any one send me the formal configuration file for one freeradius
> witch is allreay running well and acting good with MySql Database?

If it is working, there isn't much you can do to FreeRADIUS to make it
work faster, the slowdown is coming from MySQL.

If your tables are large, change them from MyISAM to InnoDB (table vs.
row locking makes all the difference).  Also make sure they are properly
indexed.  We also have a replication setup and do this in authorize:

redundant {
	sql-slave
	sql-master
}

and this in accounting:

sql-master

to separate the reads and writes.  Be aware that changing the engine on
mysql tables, causes them to lock and large tables take a long time to
change, so you will be unable to write to them during that time.  Reads
will also be quite slow (if it responds at all).  I took our radius
servers offline during the change at like 4am.

Archiving old accounting data will help too.

--
Dennis Skinner
Systems Administrator