mysql issue

andy andy at shady.org
Wed May 24 12:10:16 CEST 2006

Hi list,

Fairly new to freeradius, just about to deploy a solution involving RedBack with data storage on the backend using
MySQL.

I am using NDBD MySQL clustering on the backend and I see the following error from FreeRadius:

rlm_sql_mysql: MYSQL check_error: 2006, returning SQL_DOWN

This seems to relate to a timeout issue but googling doesnt provide any answers for that specific error code. (too like
the date 2006 I expect).

I have fairly tweaked the mysql backend to be fairly resilant in a heavy load situation, and none of the other
applications running against this cluster seem to have issues.

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to how to fix this error, or what threshholds would be recomended for
running in this environment? It seems that when this error occurs, for the next few auth attempts, certain attributes
are not passed back to the redback. This specifically being IP-Interface.

any clues on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

andy    andy at shady.org