freeRADIUS on Solaris 10 - x86

Ramm-Ericson, Johannes Johannes.Ramm-Ericson at sonyericsson.com
Fri Nov 3 08:12:05 CET 2006

-----Original Message-----
> Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:24:13 +0100 (CET)
> From: "Michael Messner" <michael.messner_edv at inode.at>
> Subject: freeRADIUS on Solaris 10 - x86
> To: <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org>
>
> hey freeRADIUS users,
>
> next step ... testing freeRADIUS on a Solaris 10 box and I'm completely new to solaris! :-( I've started
> with the configure again but there are so much things missing:
>
> snip... <
>
> thanks mIke

Hello Mike,

Seeing as you are new to Solaris I'd say you can save yourself a lot of time and hard work by re-installing your x86 server with a standard Linux distribution. Even if you've never touched Linux before most distributions will have all the necessary prerequisites installed and if you choose to do so you won't even need to compile freeradius, you can install the vendor-supplied package for freeradius.

Of course, YMMV, but I "grew up" with Solaris (and enjoyed it) but these days it's just simply a pain to install many free/open source packages on Solaris. Save yourself the trouble and go with Linux. Seeing as you are from Austria I suspect Suse will be your best option as you will probably find most local support around that distribution.

Viele grüsse,
Johannes