CHAP on freeradius & mysql

John Longland jlongland at grintek.com
Fri Nov 3 12:59:19 CET 2006

Hi all

My freeradius server has been running for some time now and due to
the users file getting a bit long, I decide to go with the mysql-database.

I have my PAP-clients running on the new mysql-radius setup but my CHAP
clients are still failing.

When I was running from the users-file, an entry would look like this:

DEFAULT	Auth-Type = MS-CHAP, Password == "void", Calling-Station-ID ==
'271111111'
		Framed-IP-Address = 1.2.3.4

but moving to mysql, I cannot have "" as usernames.

So my radcheck table has

john	Auth-Type		MS-CHAP
john      User-Password		john
john	Calling-Station-ID	271111111'

When I run radiusd in debug mode, it says

modcall : module sql returns ok for request 1
rlm_chap   login attempt by "john" with CHAP-password
rlm_chap: Using clear text password john for user john authentication
rlm_chap : Password check failed

Is there any othe rdebugging aids that I can switch on to see whats cooking
??

Thanks !
John