freeradius child processes

dan1 at gmx.net dan1 at gmx.net
Sun Nov 12 14:17:15 CET 2006

Hello,

I am using freeradius (1.0.2) with the mysql backed on debian sarge.

I noticed that after starting freeradius I can not see the different processes of the radius daemon which are started.

The thread pool is configured as follows:
thread pool {
    start_servers = 5
    max_servers = 32
    min_spare_servers = 3
    max_spare_servers = 10
    max_requests_per_server = 0
}

When starting the radius server with the option -x I see the message
Initializing the thread pool...

Is this because freeradius is using multiple threads within one process, and only one process is visible in the process list?

However on a different server with a very similar configuration ps aux  will list me several freeradius processes which are running.

Is there a way how to see how many threads are currently running?

Thanks in advance for your help

Dan