IPV6 support

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Oct 5 22:04:28 CEST 2006

Hi,

>     I am using FreeRADIUS 2.0.0 ; $Date: 2006/08/15 20:46:48
>
>     Will this server work on a host configured with IPV6 address and
> clients will still be
>     able to authenticate using this server?
>
>     I am currently not able to use this radius server. Using tcpdump I
> could see the radius packets reaching the server,
>     but the packet is not reaching the radiusd daemon.
>
>     Do I need to do any configuration changes for the same? Should I use
> some other version?

you need to configure your freeradius radiusd.conf to use IPv6.

eg

listen {
        ipv6addr = ::1   # any.  ::1 == localhost
        port = 0
        type = auth
#       interface = eth0
}

PLEASE read the example radiusd.conf in raddb for more info - for
example, one freeradius daemon CANNOT run ipv4 and ipv6 at the same
time (currently) and ALSO there is a bug.  ::  (listen on any address)
causes a segmentation fault.  ::1  (listen localhost only) works
fine - I'm _supposing_ that setting the systems IPv6 address as the
value would work, but I dont have any remote tools to test against.
its not like IPv6 is going anywhere anyway........  ;-)

you can tell its working (as much as it currently does) by looking
att he debug logs when you run 'radiusd -X'...you should see something
like

 main: port = 1812
 listen: type = "auth"
 listen: ipv6addr = ::1 IPv6 address [::1]
 listen: port = 0

and see the listening process using 'netstat' tool (for example)

alan