Called-Station-ID and Cisco AP's

Walter Reynolds waltr at umich.edu
Fri Oct 6 13:52:52 CEST 2006

I am just starting looking into this, but it seems that the
Called-Station-ID being logged from  my Cisco AP's is off:  What I see in
the log is the following:

Called-Station-Id = "0017.0f8c.25c1"

However, the cisco itself shows something slightly different:

Mac Address 	0017.0f8c.25c0

As you can see, the last digit is off.

This is not the only one.  Another example....

Called-Station-Id = "0013.6078.7661"
MAC Address	00:13:60:78:76:60

The only other system I have on the system (Bluesocket) does not have this
discrepancy.

I have searched through the archives, but trying to limit search by
Called-Station-Id and cisco does not help a lot.  Have others seen/noticed
this before?  If so any pointers to information on it?  If not, can anyone
else look and see if they are having a similar issue?

Here is the information on AP
Cisco Aironet 1200 IOS
Firmware:	12.3(8)JA2

Using FreeRadius 1.1.2

The only conf file that even mentioned called station ID (that I am using)
is radiusd.conf.  Here is the subsection

     #attr_rewrite sanecallerid {
     #       attribute = Called-Station-Id
             # may be "packet", "reply", "proxy", "proxy_reply" or "config"
     #       searchin = packet
     #       searchfor = "[+ ]"
     #       replacewith = ""
     #       ignore_case = no
     #       new_attribute = no
     #       max_matches = 10
     #       ## If set to yes then the replace string will be appended
 	    #  to the original string
         #       append = no
         #}

As it is commented out I do not see that it could be the issue.

If you want any conf files let me know, I just did not want to clog up the
message with lots of conf info that is not useful.

Thanks to all.

-- Walter Reynolds
    Principle Systems Security Development Engineer
    Information Technology Central Services
    University of Michigan
    (734)615-9438