WPA authentication works only with MacOS clients

Jason Wittlin-Cohen jasonwc at brandeis.edu
Mon Oct 16 18:40:38 CEST 2006

> Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:25:22 +0200
> From: "Josh Shamir" <josh.shamir at gmail.com>
> Subject: WPA authentication works only with MacOS clients
> To: freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org
>
> Hello all,
> I'm using WPA with EAP-TTLS and PEAP with a MacOS .Authentication works fine
> (even if enough slowly).
> The problem is that I can't authenticate WinXP client.
> I've readed that for using EAP-TTLS are required some other supplicant like
> SecureW2. Is SecureW2 required also for PEAP?

You are correct. The Windows supplicant on XP SP2 supports PEAP-MSCHAPv2
otherwise known as PEAPv0 and EAP-TLS. If you want to use EAP-TTLS you
have a few choices. You can use a commercial supplicant like Funk
Odyssey Access Client (30 day free trial here:
http://www.juniper.net/customers/support/products/oac.jsp. It's a great
supplicant and supports EAP-TTLS, PEAPv0, PEAPv1, EAP-TLS, EAP-SIM,
EAP-GTC etc. You also may want to check if your wireless card has its
own supplicant that supports TTLS. Most new laptops come with an Intel
Centrino chipset and Intel's Proset Wireless supplicant does support
TTLS. It's also faster and has more features than the MS supplicant.

If these aren't available options, why not just use PEAP-MSCHAPv2? If
you're just doing username/password authentication this should work
fine. PEAP and TTLS are very similar in nature and PEAP is supported in
OS X and in the Windows supplicant.