Radius+LDAP for TACACS alternative

James Wakefield jamesw at deakin.edu.au
Mon Oct 30 12:51:49 CET 2006

Arya, Manish Kumar wrote:
> Hi People,
>
>    I am a newbie to Radius, picking up slowly with
> Radius.
>
>    Can I use Radius for TACACS replacement ?
> We have users/groups and Tacacs server provides
> authentication/authorization for router cmds to these
> user/groups.
>    Can I achive this using Radius, if yes, please send
> some links to start.
>
> Regards,
> -Manish

Hi Manish,

I believe http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-radius/
should cover most of your questions.

Note however that you cannot perform command-level audit logging with
RADIUS as with TACACS.  If this is not important to you, then you're
pretty much all set.

Cheers,

--
James Wakefield,
Unix Administrator, Information Technology Services Division

Phone: 03 5227 8690 International: +61 3 5227 8690
Fax:   03 5227 8866 International: +61 3 5227 8866
E-mail:   james.wakefield at deakin.edu.au
Website:  http://www.deakin.edu.au