HOW-TO for Linux radius client

J. C. Desai jdesai at seagullinfo.com
Fri Sep 1 21:33:50 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am looking for a Linux client side HOW-TO for radius authentication
without requiring presence of the login id on client side locally.

The following is the authentication scenario I am trying:

1) I have freeRadius server installed on a RedHat Linux machine
2) I would like users logging into other RedHat Linux machines in our
network to have their login/passwd authenticated using freeRadius server
(for login, su, ssh, telnet, ftp etc. ways of accessing local client
machines in the network)
3) I do not want to use LDAP on server or client side
4) I am using PAM and have experimented with pam_radius_auth module without
success
5) The problem I am facing is that the login id has also to be defined
locally on client Linux machines --- otherwise, for example, the su command
fails indicating that the id does not exist (if I create the login id on
client locally, then it queries freeRadius server)
6) I do not want to add "ldap" to nsswitch.conf file of client --- just want
to stick to radius for now

In summary, is there a Linux client side HOW-TO for radius authentication
without requiring presence of the login id on client side locally?

Regards ... J. C. Desai