windowsXP+LDAP+freeradius

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Thu Sep 7 13:17:56 CEST 2006

Hello,

>      I was trying to use PAM authentication with freeradius for Win XP
> client (PEAP). I was getting error in the tls section. I posted to
> freeradius userlist. I got the reply as below. Is this right?. If not, Can
> I use LDAP+PEAP+freeradius.

Yes, the info was right. But _still_, your chances are very good that you can
use LDAP: your LDAP server needs to store the user passwords in clear text
and allow your LDAP admin user to retrieve them. This is a common scheme in
most LDAP instances, the notable exception being ActiveDirectory. But even
with ActiveDirectory you could do PEAP, it would just be a little m,ore
complicated than I outlined below (ntlm_auth, as the text you quoted
suggested).

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

>================================== You cannot use PAM to answer PEAP/MS-CHAP
> requests. You must either have the plaintext password for the user, the NT
> or LM hashes for their password, or access to an NT domain controller and
> use the "ntlm_auth" helper in the mschap module.

Greetings

--
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche
Ingenieur Forschung & Entwicklung

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg