rlm_perl and accounting -- radrelay?

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Thu Sep 7 23:45:24 CEST 2006

On Thu 07 Sep 2006 15:07, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Kostas Kalevras <kkalev at noc.ntua.gr> wrote:
> > Just a side note on the clone packets issue i ve come across it in
> > another situation. We act as a proxy for various ISPs and we need to
> > have a way to replicate accounting-on/off packets (which obviously
> > don't carry a username at realm attribute) to all ISPs. But currently
> > this is not possible since we have a server logic of one request,one
> > thread. Being able to use multiple Proxy-To-Realm attributes would
> > be great.
>
>   I think the easiest way to do this is to write a special-purpose 1-N
> proxying server.  It's special purpose enough that I'm not sure that
> work belongs in the server core.  i.e. Doing N proxies means what,
> exactly for pre/post-proxy sections?  Do we add a queue of proxied
> packets to the REQUEST?
>
>   The 1-N proxying server can look for special "proxy to X" attributes
> in the packet, strip them out, and proxy the packet to N different
> places.  It can even read proxy.conf, so there's one source for
> configuration files.  With a little more work, it can also read the
> "detail" files, and be radrelay, too.

Being able to selectively replicate an accounting packet N times may not be a
standard configuration (although certainly usefull) but proxying
accounting-on/off packets to some/all downstream servers is something that
almost _everyone_ proxying accounting will want to do. This probaby warrants
a new config option in proxy.conf (acctonoff-shotgun=yes/no)

In particular any downstream servers running ippools need this information...
Not to mention people who charge by the minute for a particular service..

Cheers

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/