Proxy problem in FreeRADIUS 1.1.3

Chris A. Kalin cak at netwurx.net
Sat Sep 9 00:20:06 CEST 2006

Alan DeKok wrote:
> "Chris A. Kalin" <cak at netwurx.net> wrote:
>
>>Right, the users file has a default Auth-Type := System
>

>   Yes, which doesn't affect anything, because the unix module is only
> used during authentication, and it's proxying, so it's not hitting the
> unix module.

This makes sense.  What I don't get is why the request is sailing
through the proxy module (where it apparently receives an
"Access-Accept") and then continues INTO the files/unix part of the
config, which is where the failure occurs - with no log of the failure
to radius.log.

Here's an output of the 0.8 server's debug log handling the exact same
request:

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host yy.yy.yy.31:1354, id=2, length=60
         User-Name = "bob at domain.com"
         User-Password = "XXXX"
modcall: entering group authorize
   modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok
     rlm_realm: Looking up realm domain.com for User-Name = "bob at domain.com"
     rlm_realm: Found realm domain.com
     rlm_realm: Adding Stripped-User-Name = "bob"
   rlm_realm: Proxying request from user bob to realm domain.com
     rlm_realm: Adding Realm = "domain.com"
rlm_realm:  Preparing to proxy authentication request to realm domain.com
   modcall[authorize]: module "realmat" returns updated
rlm_sqlcounter: Entering module authorize code
rlm_sqlcounter: Could not find Check item value pair
   modcall[authorize]: module "monthlycounter" returns noop
     users: Matched DEFAULT at 54
   modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns ok
rlm_sqlcounter: Entering module authorize code
rlm_sqlcounter: Could not find Check item value pair
   modcall[authorize]: module "monthlycounter" returns noop
modcall: group authorize returns updated
Sending Access-Request of id 1 to xx.xx.xx.xx:1645
         User-Name = "bob"
         User-Password =
"\004\315\007\274\t\214\006\315\315JO\344\330\337\275I"
         NAS-IP-Address = yy.yy.yy.31
         Proxy-State = "2"
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 6 seconds...
rad_recv: Access-Accept packet from host xx.xx.xx.xx:1645, id=1, length=47
         Service-Type = Framed-User
         Framed-Protocol = PPP
         Session-Timeout = 57600
         Idle-Timeout = 900
         Proxy-State = 0x32
modcall: entering group authorize
   modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok
     rlm_realm: Proxy reply, or no user name.  Ignoring.
   modcall[authorize]: module "realmat" returns noop
rlm_sqlcounter: Entering module authorize code
rlm_sqlcounter: Could not find Check item value pair
   modcall[authorize]: module "monthlycounter" returns noop
     users: Matched DEFAULT at 54
   modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns ok
rlm_sqlcounter: Entering module authorize code
rlm_sqlcounter: Could not find Check item value pair
   modcall[authorize]: module "monthlycounter" returns noop
modcall: group authorize returns ok
   rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type System
   rad_check_password: Auth-Type = Accept, accepting the user
Login OK: [bob at domain.com/Password] (from client yy.yy.yy.31 port 0)
Sending Access-Accept of id 2 to yy.yy.yy.31:1354
         Service-Type = Framed-User
         Framed-Protocol = PPP
         Session-Timeout = 57600
         Idle-Timeout = 900
Finished request 0
Going to the next request
rl_next:  returning NULL
Waking up in 6 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Cleaning up request 0 ID 2 with timestamp 4501e9a6
Nothing to do.  Sleeping until we see a request.

I'll admit there are some steps in there that don't make sense to me
either, which suggests that maybe I was relying on a bug or bad behavior
before.  But even so, if nothing changed, then I should be getting the
same bug or bad behavior now, right?  If I'm doing this completely wrong
in the first place and was simply lucking out before, tell me that and
I'll try to learn the correct way.

The users file is identical in the 0.8 and 1.1.3 servers, and the
radiusd.conf file had minimal changes - I can upload the 0.8
radiusd.conf if you think it'll help.

Thanks!