Pattern Matching in users file

Garber, Neal Neal.Garber at energyeast.com
Sat Sep 16 22:26:24 CEST 2006

> You can use the "hints" file to do what you want.  It does *not* say
> you can only use prefix & suffix matching.

I was referring to the following in the sample hints file:

#       Matching can take place with the the Prefix and Suffix
#       attributes, just like in the "users" file.
#       These attributes operate ONLY on the username, though.

And this in the doc/README file:

  Customize the /etc/raddb/hints file. This file is used to give users a
  different login type based on a prefix/suffix of their loginname. For
  example, logging in as "user" may result in a rlogin session to a Unix
  system, and logging in as "Puser" could start a PPP session.

Is there another document that describes matching on other attributes
and how to add new attributes to the request.  I think these paragraphs
need updating.  Are you saying I can do this in hints:

DEFAULT Cisco-AVPair == "", My-Group := "RadioIP-MAU"
DEFAULT Cisco-AVPair == "ssid=(.*)", My-Group := "Wireless %{1}"
DEFAULT My-Group := "Unknown source"

That is, does hints work just like the users file, except it adds any
new attributes to the request?  If so, this is exactly what I need!  If
the syntax or usage is off, can you correct me.

Thanks Alan.