FEERADIUS and SUN Directory server groups

Kostas Kalevras kkalev at noc.ntua.gr
Tue Sep 19 10:32:04 CEST 2006

Petr "Qaxi" Klíma wrote:

> Kostas Kalevras napsal(a):
>
>> Petr "Qaxi" Klíma wrote:
>>
>>> "filteredgroup"
>>> ===================================================
>>> $ ldapsearch cn=gprs_filter
>>> dn: cn=gprs_filter,ou=Groups,dc=myorg
>>> cn: gprs_filter
>>> objectClass: groupofurls
>>> objectClass: groupofuniquenames
>>> objectClass: top
>>> objectClass: iplanet-am-managed-filtered-group
>>> objectClass: iplanet-am-managed-group
>>> memberURL: ldap:///dc=myorg??sub?(&(uid=k*)(o=mysuborg))
>>> ===================================================
>>>
>>> How should I set groupmembership_filter or how should I use do_xlat
>>> (I probably misunderstand the feature)
>>

>> The FreeRADIUS ldap module supports *static* ldap groups. These
>> groups are implemented either as a group entry containing member DN's
>> or as a group membership attribute
>> in the user entries. What you are looking for (evaluating the
>> memberURL attribute during group evaluation) cannot be done in an
>> efficient way. The memberURL is mostly an
>> informational attribute used when browsing groups.
>

> Hmm .. SUN Java Enterprise server is using it as authoritative
> user<>group mapping ...

This is moving away from being a freeradius configuration issue.
Implementing group evaluation through memberURL means that we have to
run the corresponding query on each
group lookup. That's as costly as the number/2 of entries present on
each group hence it will take a lot of time and will polute the ldap
server caches with not necessary entries.
Group lookup is already quite costly as it is so i don't think
implementing memberURL can add something. Also IMHO evaluating memberURL
is the ldap server's job not the radius server.

>> You will have to use one of the two methods supported for ldap groups
>> to work. Dynamic groups
>
> What methods?
>
> groupofuniquenames and ... ???

And a group membership attribute in the user entry like memberOf

>> are costly and should be
>> implemented on the ldap server side.
>

> How to do it? Are there any suggestions (there are other DS which uses
> souch group "filtering" (SUN,Netscape,RedHat (they are from the same
> nest), but Apache DS too ...)

You could probably acieve what you are looking for with Class Of Service
in the SUN One Directory Server