radcheck vs radreply

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Wed Sep 20 11:00:44 CEST 2006

I seem to have a conceptual misunderstanding of the radcheck and
radreply tables - and all my googling has given me nothing solid to
correct myself on.

Can someone explain the difference of the 2 and what their purpose in
the system is.

My understanding it the radcheck is used to decide whether a user should
have access to the NAS and values are then sent back from the results of
these checks...
The radreply is then simply a list of properties/configuration
attributes that are returned to the NAS is that specific user is authorised.

My confusion comes - though - due to the fact that when running a
radtest on my server none of the radcheck attributes are being returned
and the users are being allowed to do more than they should be as a result.