IAS and Freeradius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Sep 20 19:04:53 CEST 2006

Artur Hayne <arturhayne at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
>  The freeradius is comunicate with the IAS through a proxy, but dont authenticate.
>  The windows show me this error:
>
>  "Event type: Error
>  Source: IAS
>  A malformed request was received from client XXXX. The data is the packet."

  IAS doesn't implement Digest authentication.

  Use a real RADIUS server that supports something more than PEAP.

>  What is worng? I dont undestand: freeradius and IAS use the same protocol...

  No, they don't.  RADIUS carries additional authentication protocols.
FreeRADIUs understands all common authentication protocols.  IAS
understands the one or two that Microsoft has implemented.

  Again, don't use IAS.  It's useless.

  And you can't do Digest authentication against AD.  It's impossible.
I've just updated the compatibility matrix with Digest authentication:

http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html