Prefixing Topics with Mailing list name

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Sep 26 23:58:40 CEST 2006

Hi,

> Because most other lists (for example, Sourceforge) add [prefixes] to
> emails, that make it easier - for me at least - to filter emails by list in
> Gmail and other mail clients.
>
> I'm currently subscribed to the following lists that use [prefixes]:
>
> [shorewall-users]
> [openvpn-users]
> [openvpn-devel]
> [lartc]
> [snort-users]

I filter groups based on, eg the To: or List-Id: header. this is very easy to
do and saves a nice amount of subject line so I can read more subject
and less mailing list identity.  I used to prefer the list name in
the subject...but since then I've swung over to prefering using MY filtering
rather than rely on subject lines

> I agree about losing half the subject line to said headers, but to be honest
> it's not much point knowing more of the subject line if you have no idea
> what list it's from!

I'd disagree. I often slip into reading some random but interesting email due
to the subject line - of lists that I dont filter and would normally mass
delete at the end of the month due to no reading time.

alan