dumb humble question about sqlippool

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Fri Sep 29 08:41:14 CEST 2006

On Fri 29 Sep 2006 01:02, Guilherme Franco wrote:
> Thank you very much for your kindness.
>
> I'm sorry, again, for posting too much questions about this.
>
> It's correct that I'm trying to put this in production as this is the
> only module that does not worked for me.
>
> I'm happy with dialup_admin, AAA and everything else in Oracle!
>
> The only missing thing is sqlippool :(
>
> I know that it is an experimental module and I also have limited time
> to work on this module as it's not for me, it's for another company.
>
> In the mean time, I'm using regular ippool db in a NFS with just 1
> radius active per time (to prevent lockups). That was the only way
> I've managed to do ippools with 2 servers (is there any
> alternatives?).
>
> As you see I can't abandon oracle, nor install postgre as it would
> break up some dependencies with other oracle databases that we have.
>
> I'm being such a pain for you guys because the sqlippool module is
> almost working! If I saw that it wouldn't work at all, I would never
> took the time to work in it as I'm taking now :)
>
> I appreciate your concerns and as I'm out of time to deliver the
> solution to the client, I think I can't try sqlippool anymore.
>
> That's a shame because I'm almost there!
>
> Now that I've managed to change somethings it's doing all the selects
> without any errors (that return ie: ip 1.1.1.1 in sqlplus) but it's
> stating sqlippool_query1: row[0] returned NULL in radiusd -X ( how can
> it be null if the select was successful? ). It's the only $!*!@! thing
> that is preventing the user to get an IP!! That kind of things just
> take time to debug...
>
> Besides that, if I don't set pool_name = "name_of_the_pool" in
> sqlippool.conf, allocate-find tries to select from "ippool" (wich does
> not exists) instead of the one I've set in radippool table.

I would double check this behaviour. It should not select at all if there is
no pool-name.

NONE of the ippool modules let you set the pool name. You HAVE to set
Pool-Name = whatever as a check item!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Other issue is related to multiple pools, one with dynamic IP's and
> other with fixed ones (actually it's not possible to do that with only
> just one sqlippool.conf file without modifying rlm_sqlippool.c).

IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Run two copies of the module!

> Another thing lies in proxy -> if the proxy returns IP 255.255.255.254
> for me, sqlippool does not overrides it and do nothing (it doesn't
> have the override = yes option like ippool).

This can be added. Although why would you return an IP like that when you dont
need to? Just return the Pool-Name and let the module do its job.

> So, to close this out, I would REALLY LIKE to make this work and help
> you guys  as well, but because of lack of time, the only way would do
> this as an enhancement to the already deployed solution for the
> client, thanks.

Do you have sqlippool working with Postgresql?? it seems to me that you do not
quite understand how it works which tells me that you dont have a working
installation to compare with. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A WORKING INSTALLATION OF
SQLIPPOOL ON POSTGRESQL DO THAT RIGHT NOW BEFORE DOING ANY MORE TESTING WITH
ORACLE!!!!! PLEASE!!!

Cheers

--

Peter Nixon