freeradius and cisco hidden share

John Baker johnnyb at marlboro.edu
Mon Apr 9 18:14:41 CEST 2007

Hello

 I'm certain was using the right command. The number 7 in the line tells
the router that a hidden key will follow.

coltrane(config)#radius-server key ?
  0     Specifies an UNENCRYPTED key will follow
  7     Specifies HIDDEN key will follow
  LINE  The UNENCRYPTED (cleartext) shared key

Now at this point I actually got it to work. It turned out that in
trying to copy the extremely long number from the old config there was
an error.

But I still don't know exactly what it is doing so I'm hoping somebody
can explain because I may want to change the key at some point.

On the router end the key is configured with radius-server key 7
"54-character-key"

On the radius server in clients.conf this client's secret =
"totally-different-26-character-key"

Initially I thought that one side or the other would be like /etc/shadow
passwords or the garbled string you see looking at a enable secret
password in the cisco conf. That would account for them appearing
totally different. But just copying the old configuration straight works
so I guess not.