LDAP changes between 1.01 and 1.1.5

Kostas Kalevras kkalev at noc.ntua.gr
Fri Apr 13 11:30:00 CEST 2007

O/H Alan DeKok έγραψε:
> Ryan Kramer wrote:
>
>> I SUSPECT something might not be escaped in a manner the MS AD server
>> likes, or maybe just the fact it has any escape sequences built in at
>> all is what is causing it to toss it.
>>

>   No.  As I have said already, the problem is that the LDAP queries are
> being escaped.  Please pay attention to what I'm saying, it might help
> you solve the problem.
>
>   The default install does not do this.  The default configuration does
> not do this.  Other people have not run into this problem.  The problem
> is almost definitely the way you are building the queries.
>
>   i.e. the LDAP queries are built up as:
>
>   <text from config file> ldap_escape(other text) <text from config ...>
>
>   The text that you, as administrator entered into the configuration
> file is NEVER escaped.  The text that a random user enters as a
> User-Name is ALWAYS escaped.

the problem is with the groupmembership_filter. It contains the
Ldap-UserDn attribute which gets xlated and escaped:
"(|(&(objectClass=GroupOfNames)(member=%{Ldap-UserDn}))(&(objectClass=GroupOfUniqueNames)(uniquemember=%{Ldap-UserDn})))"

A DN usually contains commas which get escaped and break the ldap
search. I am not so sure why we should escape ',' in the first place.
That way we break any ldap searches for attribute values holding DN's.