Version 2.0 is a lot closer to reality...

Michael Mitchell mitchell.michael at bigpond.com
Fri Apr 13 11:32:00 CEST 2007

Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> Techs will also want to test switches in new installs , and they won't
> like waiting a day for configuration changes to take effect.... like
> users won't like the service
> going down every hour , although we could stagger the server restarts....

In reality I expect the users wouldn't even notice. It takes only a second or two to start the RADIUS server at the very most - most cases would be measured in milliseconds. With two or more redundant servers, that should be well inside the retry period of most NAS's. The risk is that the server may not come back up (eg error in the configuration that was changed) which makes automatic restarts or reloads potentially dangerous.

regards,
Mike