SNMP with 1.1.6 and Net-SNMP 5.3

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Fri Apr 13 14:53:26 CEST 2007

Hi,

trying for the first time to get SNMP working, and I have come to a point
where I'm really startled why stuff doesn't work.

I've configured FreeRADIUS 1.1.6 with SNMP, and it's printing out that it is
starting up the SMUX connection. Then the snmpd refuses the SMUX connection.

This would usually mean I screwed up the shared secret, but I'm very sure I
haven't. I even verified with tcpdump that FR sends the correct secret on the
loopback "wire".

So the problem would appear to be that Net-SNMP is confused wrt the secret.
But I configured it with the line

smuxpeer .1.3.6.1.4.1.3317.1.3.1 verysecret

(also without the leading dot, in my desperation, didn't help). The password
*is* verysecret on the FR side.

Debug output says:

Module: Instantiated detail (nas_reply_log)
 main: smux_password = "verysecret"
 main: snmp_write_access = no
SMUX connect try 1
SMUX open oid: 1.3.6.1.4.1.3317.1.3.1
SMUX open progname: radiusd
SMUX open password: verysecret
SMUX register oid: 1.3.6.1.2.1.67.1.1.1.1
SMUX register priority: -1
SMUX register operation: 1
SMUX register oid: 1.3.6.1.2.1.67.2.1.1.1
SMUX register priority: -1
SMUX register operation: 1
SMUX register message send failed: Broken pipe
Listening on authentication *:1812
Listening on accounting *:1813
Ready to process requests.

The broken pipe is because Net-SNMP closes the connection, it's log says:

[smux_accept] accepted fd 9 from 127.0.0.1:4580
refused smux peer: oid SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.3317.1.3.1, descr radiusd

and tcpdump reveals that the reason for refusing is authenticationFailure.

Anyone else running a similar config? It's the version of Net-SNMP that came
as RPM on SUSE 10.1. FR compiled freshly.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche
Ingenieur Forschung & Entwicklung

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg