assigning vlan based on NAS and LDAP field?

jerrrry at voila.fr jerrrry at voila.fr
Fri Apr 13 19:09:13 CEST 2007

> Message du 13/04/07 à 11h43
> De : "Kostas Kalevras"
> A : mda at unb.ca, "FreeRadius users mailing list"
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: assigning vlan based on NAS and LDAP field?
>
> O/H Matt Ashfield έγραψε: > HI all, > > We're using FR authenticating against LDAP to implement our wireless > solution. Basically, we are looking at the LDAP field of record type and > determining if it is a staff or a student, and assigning a vlan based on > that. Pretty simple and it works. However, there are two issues with this: > > 1. We have a sister campus, on a different network, but who are sharing the > same FR and LDAP servers for authentication. Obviously their NAS's are > different than ours because we're in different physical locations and > networks. With our current configuration, it looks like we have to define > the exact same vlans id's and the same vlan eligibility rules (ie staff get > vlan x and student get vlan y) in order for this to work. I guess I'm hoping > there is a way to assign different vlans based on the NAS ip address in > addition to the student/staff distinction. > You can use multiple ldap module instances and set Autz-Type depending on the nas ip address (or better yet huntgroups) >

 2. This follows into our future wired side implementation of 802.1x. In this > case, we don't want our staff/student wired users to be assigned to the same > vlans as they would be if they were on wireless. Rather we'd prefer to break > them up based on their NAS or something like that. > > Anyways, I realize this is quite an odd situation, but probably quite > similar to what many EDU people are encountering. Any help/advice is greatly > appreaciated. > >
you have to find an attribute in the radius nas request that will différenciate a wifi connection and a wired 802.1x connection:
for me it is
NAS-Port-Type = Wireless-802.11 for  wifi
and
NAS-Port-Type = ethernet for wired 802.1x
depending on this you send a vlan or an other in the radius response.
but you still can do it depending on the nas IP

Thomas