Autotools related problems in freeradius 1.1.6

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Apr 24 13:12:26 CEST 2007

Kostas Zorbadelos wrote:
> This is exactly what I did. The reason I mention it is because I think
> the default should be sane in future releases of freeradius (that is
> developer options switched off by default).

  That's the intent, yes.

> I disagree with you on this one Alan. I discovered all these issues I
> mention the hard way, after our radius server stopped running in
> random times (after a failure in rad_assert() in request_list.c around
> the section
> In production environments the server should be able to at least
> report the errors it encounters and continue operations. Service
> availability is the most important.

  My point was that it should continue doing *what*?  The assertions are
there to catch catastrophic failures in the code.  If the assertion
trips, it's doing so because the error is non-recoverable.

  If you disable the assertions, the server may look like it's still
running.  But there's no guarantee that it will do anything useful.  It
may crash randomly later, for reasons that are difficult to track down.
 The only *safe* thing to do is to revert to a known working state.
i.e. restart from scratch.

> As far as I can tell, the following minor patch should take care of the
> issue of having developer flags switched off be default:

  OK, thanks.