RES: Re: RES: Re: PEAP/EAP-TLS with client and server certificate

Marcelo Augusto Rodrigues Pimentel marcelo.pimentel at cgu.gov.br
Tue Apr 24 20:36:17 CEST 2007

Marcelo Augusto Rodrigues Pimentel wrote:
> OK. But I?m trying to use peap to make an encrypted tunnel validating the server certificate and then I want to authenticate the clients whith EAP-TLS using client/server certificate. The TLS tunnel is working fine, but the second part of EAP-TLS authentication not.

>  What second part of EAP-TLS?  The server supports authenticating via
client certificates, and nothing else.

I said two parts, because those parts of my configuration uses TLS:

The first part is making the encrypt tunnel using PEAP --> Only validates server certificate to create the tunnel.

The second part is the authenticathion inner the tunnel with EAP-TLS --> Mutual validation of client and server certificate.

This configuration is like Geroge Ou said below:
PEAP-EAP-TLS is an improved version of the original EAP-TLS protocol that goes further to encrypt client digital certificate information.  Both PEAP-EAP-TLS and EAP-TLS have the same server and client side digital certificate requirements.

Reference: Wireless LAN security guide --> Level 3: Medium to large Enterprise WLAN security" http://www.lanarchitect.net/Articles/Wireless/SecurityRating/

Thank´s !

> So .... in the peap section in the eap.conf, what I?ve to configure for default eap type? Is tls ?

>  No.  You can leave it alone.  It's fine.

> If I configure tls, I?ve to create a tls section in the peap section or the tls section of the eap.conf is enough. I?ve attached my eap.conf file.

> If you want to use just TLS, you don't need the PEAP section.  If you
want to use PEAP, you need the TLS section.  The comments in the
"eap.conf" file explain this.

"Mensagem protegida por sigilo profissional. Sua utilização indevida sujeita o infrator às penas da lei. Não sendo seu destinatário, por favor, elimine-a e informe o equívoco ao emitente."

"This e-mail message and any attachment are intended exclusively for the named addressee. They may contain confidential information which may also be protected by professional secrecy. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive for the addressee) you may not copy or use this message or any attachment or disclose the contents to anyone else. If this e-mail was sent to you by mistake please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail."