EAP-MD5 client "rlm_eap_md5 : Password is required for EAP-MD5 Authentication"

rick norman gumbo_2007 at bsdmail.com
Sun Aug 5 19:51:16 CEST 2007

Hi,
I'm building a radiusd client using libradius and trying to get eap-md5 authentication
working.  My code sends a radius request with a user name, and an eap message with
the username.
I receive a challenge from radiusd.  I return the challenge response, md5(id,passwd,challenge), and radius state variable
but time out waiting for authentication.
The output from radiusd indicates "rlm_eap_md5 : Password is required for EAP-MD5 Authentication".
When I add the password to the users file, I no longer receive the challenge and timeout earlier.
Where is radiusd supposed to get the passwd, and in what format ?