proxy and attribute overrides

Hugh Messenger hugh at alaweb.com
Wed Aug 8 18:53:43 CEST 2007

Emmanuel Dreyfus said:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 10:14:45AM -0400, Alan DeKok wrote:
> >   The deprecated feature *will* be going away.  It's not necessary, and
> > it's wrong.
>
> Agreed, but it could be quite useful as a migration path, couldn't it?

If this was a minor version update, I might agree.  But 2.0 is a major
update, with some significant changes and new features.

Even with the changes, Alan has done a great job of backward compat, such
that most "normal" 1.x setups will just work in 2.x.  But there are
inevitably a number of corner cases that will require changes.  Most of
these will be where a given feature of 1.x can be achieved in a more elegant
way using the new 'unlang' ("no no, it's not a new scripting language,
really").

I see it as a trade off.  Our time as users testing and if necessary
upgrading our configuration, versus Alan's time coding up backward compat
features for our convenience.  If it's something affecting many users ...
sure, lobby Alan to fix it ... but if it's just a handful, I know whose time
gets my vote.  Especially in this case, where you have plenty of warning
that the feature you need is going away.

So I'd recommend that your migration path would be to fire up a test install
of the 2.0 CVS head, and play with unlang.  You'll like it.  :)

> Emmanuel Dreyfus
> manu at netbsd.org

   -- hugh