Problems running on Solaris 10

Paul Goodman pgoodman at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 9 22:12:53 CEST 2007

I have just finished compiling the PAM client module on Solaris 10
(pam_radius-1.3.17). With some minor tweaks, I compiled the module
successfully and am using it to authenticate via ssh and sudo. However, I
am having difficulty getting su to work. The line I have in /etc/pam.conf is:

su      auth required           pam_radius_auth.so

With this configuration, after typing su, I get a password prompt. I enter
the correct password, but get the message:

su: Sorry

This happened on my linux systems as well, until I added the ruser option
to the module. On linux, the ruser option allows su to be used
successfully. However, on Solaris 10, adding the ruser option causes a
segfault and core dump. Again, I get the password prompt and enter the
correct password, then get:

Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

Using mdb to analyze the core file, I see:

bash-3.00# mdb corefile
> ::status
debugging core file of su (32-bit) from XXXXXXX
file: /usr/bin/su
initial argv: su
threading model: multi-threaded
status: process terminated by SIGSEGV (Segmentation Fault)

Can anyone tell me how to get su working on Solaris 10?