Radiusd.conf & dictionary troubleshooting

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Aug 14 11:49:37 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 01:00 -0700, Dan Jones wrote:
> Hi all and thanks ahead of time for any responders.
>
> The scenario: I have been given the task to install a radius server on
> a Linux platform.  After doing some research, I went with Fedora Core
> 6 and FreeRadius-1.1.7 .  It's currently running on my HP Laptop for
> configuring and testing.  As for my strength with Linux, I am a novice
> but learning quickly just by the amount of work I have done so far
> with this system.
>
> As for the guide I have been following so far for a lot of my work:
> http://www.jrdcorp.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=46

That guide has several mistakes just at a glance. Please consult
wiki.freeradius.org where the docs you read have a much higher chance of
being correct.

> rlm_exec: Wait=yes but no output defined. Did you mean output=none?
> rlm_eap_tls: Loading the certificate file as a chain
> rlm_eap_tls: SSL error error 00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)
> rlm_eap_tls: Error reading Trusted root CA list
> rlm_eap: Failed to initialize type tls
> radius.conf [10]: eap: Module instantiation failed
> radius.conf[1939] Unknown module "eap".
> radius.conf[1886] Failed to parse authentication section

Those last 3 lines mean the "include eap.conf" line is commented out in
radiusd.conf

> read_config_files: reading directory
> Errors reading dictionary: dict_init: /etc/raddb/dictionary[14]:
> Couldn't open dictionary "/usr/local/share/freeradius/dictionary": No
> such file or directory

The server isn't installed properly; "make install" should copy those
files into place, if they're not there it didn't work. Un-tar a clean
copy and re-try:

./configure && make && make install && echo success

> Errors reading radius.conf
>

> For my first troubleshooting and seeing what might work, I copied the
> dictionary file, i think from the raddb directory, should have made a

No. You've made it worse.

>  note, to the directory that the dictionary file points to.  The
> result of that was the same message except for the "No such file or
> directory", I got a: To many open files.
> So I canceled that idea and I am stuck with that line.
> Now for the radiusd.conf file..... I have no clue at all what could be

What's wrong is that radiusd.conf references raddb/dictionary;
raddb/dictionary references /usr/local/share/freeradius/dictionary; and
the latter isn't there, so the error is propagated upwards since it's
discovered whilst parsing radiusd.conf