Help configuring FreeRadius with PPPD and ntlm_auth

Bruce Marriner bmarriner at ameristarfence.com
Mon Aug 20 18:07:13 CEST 2007

I wish I could be very specific here.  But I fixed it.
I reinstalled PPP and I looked very close at all its options and the config for XL2TP and removed every option that wasn't required (didn't break my non-radius connection).  I tried the connection again.  Wasn't even talking to radius so I edited the /etc/ppp/radius/servers file.  It started talking to radius!  This time it actually said it was doing mschap auth.  Then complained about security on the winbindd_privileged folder.  Now I'm not sure what user it's running as.  The radiusd user has writes to that folder.  But for testing I just changed it to 777 and now it's working.

So I'm down to my very last step is this whole thing.  I'll dig on the internet and manuals for this as well.  But I'd like to ask here too :)  I need to select what IP Pool specific users are given.  So for our general users (field sales) we could allow access to all the email/intranet servers.  Then our special users who do maintenance work on some machines in the shop would only have access to those machines.  If I can assign different IP pool I can handle the access in netfilter.

So is there a method of pulling a ip pool from Active Directory?  If not, what options are there? Thanks.  I'm documenting most of this :) and working on writing a howto on the whole thing.  Since I couldn't really find any that currently exist.   Once done it will exist at http://sqls.net/?s=article&id=6  (just in case someone ends up finding this while searching for how to do this)