Assertionfailed trouble again

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Aug 29 18:30:33 CEST 2007

Janne Peltonen wrote:
> I had a problem with radius choking on a failed assertion (probably sth
> to do with high load on the server, that is, the physical computer, not
> the radius server). As recommended
> (https://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2007-August/065179.html),
> I upgraded to version 1.1.7, and the problem went away. Now, yesterday I
> added a second realm into proxy.conf (I used to have only the NULL
> realm). Last night:

  Did you HUP the server, or re-start it?

> --/var/log/radius/radius.log--
> Wed Aug 29 04:01:39 2007 : Error: Assertion failed in request_list.c, line 355
> --end sample--
>
> And the server snuffed. Any ideas?

  Don't HUP the server.

  The exact error indicates a failure in the internal sanity of the data
structures.  You COULD change the assert to "if (!node) return;", but
that would just mask the problem.  The server would likely assert
somewhere else.

  2.0.0-pre2 has all of this code completely re-written.  It's simpler,
easier to understand, and should be much more stable.