Looking for feedback

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Fri Dec 21 23:50:28 CET 2007

On Fri 21 Dec 2007, Geoffroy ARNOUD wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First I apologize, because the question I am about to ask is not
> directly linked to FreeRADIUS.
>
> I am a FreeRADIUS user, and I am looking for feedback regarding the
> NAS all of you use. Actually, I am looking for a NAS, able to manage
> access for several Wifi hotspot (> 500 hotspots, > 5000 users).
>
> The NAS would be the gateway, restricting user to access Internet, by
> redirecting users' traffic to a Web portal. EAP must alos be supported
> transparently (the NAS would act as a RADIUS proxy, between APs and
> FreeRADIUS, but would open the connection transparently).
>
> I took a look at Coova, but it seems to me that it is not adpated for
> a centralized solution, where each hotspot has its own DHCP server.
>
> All options are opened for me (opensource or manufacturer), so don't
> hesitate to reply to me (directly, because this list is not the
> purpose of my request).
> Any feedback woul be appreciated.

Daniel

A centralised NAS for multiple hotspots implies that you are not going to NAT
each hotspot, but rather that you will route a subnet to each. If that is
the case I think a combination of a centralised coova, plus a DHCP relay
agent on each access point should work. If it doesn't work out of the box (I
havent tested coova in that config) then I am sure it would be possible with
pretty minor patches. Why don't you re-ask the question on the coova list
(which I am also on). I am sure David will be able to help :-)

Cheers

--

Peter Nixon
http://peternixon.net/