a freeradious/wireless solution for a school

John Wan J.Wan at mbs.edu
Thu Feb 1 06:20:25 CET 2007

Hi Michael,

I have setup the "chillispot"+"freeRadius"+"Win2k3AD" for my wireless
network. Everything is working but the AD authentication. Apparently the
reason not working is because AD does not like the CHAP authentication
and AD likes MS-CHAP. I do not know how to configure and where to
configure my Linux box to use MS-CHAP instead of CHAP.

Have you done this before? If you do would you please teach me how to
rectify this problem.

Please see the following output from "$ Radius -X" when a wireless
client uses "administrator" logon into the chillispot web logon page:

Ready to process requests.
rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1:32772, id=0,
length=223
        User-Name = "administrator"
        CHAP-Challenge = 0xa784482e8ac92fd573e87bbbad9ca58f
        CHAP-Password = 0x00f54cc04e288eec67feff0b13e9448bd2
        NAS-IP-Address = 0.0.0.0
        Service-Type = Login-User
        Framed-IP-Address = 192.168.182.5
        Calling-Station-Id = "00-16-6F-79-91-F4"
        Called-Station-Id = "00-05-5D-9E-0F-94"
        NAS-Identifier = "nas01"
        Acct-Session-Id = "45aec9a900000000"
        NAS-Port-Type = Wireless-802.11
        NAS-Port = 0
        Message-Authenticator = 0x97668bae73249b0dd4755ab03d364f34
        WISPr-Logoff-URL = "http://192.168.182.1:3990/logoff"
  Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
  modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok for request 0
  rlm_chap: Setting 'Auth-Type := CHAP'
  modcall[authorize]: module "chap" returns ok for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for request 0
    rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "administrator", looking up realm
NULL
    rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
  modcall[authorize]: module "suffix" returns noop for request 0
  rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
  modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns noop for request 0
    users: Matched DEFAULT at 153
  modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns ok for request 0
modcall: group authorize returns ok for request 0
  rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type CHAP
auth: type "CHAP"
  Processing the authenticate section of radiusd.conf
modcall: entering group Auth-Type for request 0
  rlm_chap: login attempt by "administrator" with CHAP password
  rlm_chap: Could not find clear text password for user administrator
  modcall[authenticate]: module "chap" returns invalid for request 0
modcall: group Auth-Type returns invalid for request 0
auth: Failed to validate the user.
Delaying request 0 for 1 seconds
Finished request 0
Going to the next request
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1:32772, id=0,
length=223 Sending Access-Reject of id 0 to 127.0.0.1:32772
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 4 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Cleaning up request 0 ID 0 with timestamp 45aecedc Nothing to do.
Sleeping until we see a request.

Many thanks in advance.

John Wan

Notice from Melbourne Business School Ltd

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential, and is intended for
the named person's use only.  It may contain proprietary or legally privileged
information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the
sender and delete it immediately.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not
the intended recipient

Internet communications are not secure. You should scan this message and any
attachments for viruses. Melbourne Business School does not accept any
liability for loss or damage which may result from receipt of this message or
any attachments.